ICE parenting on referenced model - bug?

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Draise

ICE parenting on referenced model - bug?

Post by Draise » 08 Sep 2016, 06:33

I know this may be obscure - but I have a rig with some ICE parenting. I have multiplied child global positions with a parent - and modified some of those global positions with local positions so I can modify the offset with a control.

I am not sure this is a circular evaluation - but it works. Most rigs save and import and export properly. No issues. Everything is hunkydory.

Now, I have that same eye rig (which contains that particular ICE compound) and duplicated the whole rig to get the other eye (they are eyes), symmetrized it and viola - freezed it's transforms and set it out ot be ok. it works normally on export and import.

But when I reference that rig, everything works till when I save that scene. Now when I load the scene with the referenced rig - the duplicated eye rig with the ICE (housed in another null) is corrupt and it is terribly and randomly offset and no matter what I do for the life of me - no pose constraint, reparenting, nothing.. nothign affects the children. The parent works fine - the children do not. No animation is kept.

Now I found a fix - but it's a really random one. It is to Offload the model, then reload it. That fixes that bizzare issue with that particular eye rig.

Are you curious as to try help me troubleshoot this? If this project sells, I will have to use these rigs A LOT - so I hope to fix it in the long run to save time with the offloading/loading.

Any pointers would help!

forton

Re: ICE parenting on referenced model - bug?

Post by forton » 08 Sep 2016, 19:16

Some things I needed to do in ice-rigs to make them work:

Make sure the positioning is completely done in ice, so positions, scaling and rotations are exclusively set in ice, make sure the object you are controlling has no parent that has influence on the position of your object, no constraints etc.
Only set global kinematics.
Don't move the null containing the rig.

Hope this helps.

Draise

Re: ICE parenting on referenced model - bug?

Post by Draise » 09 Sep 2016, 00:45

That must have been the problem. I resolved to use expressions to do what the ICE tree was doing... and ran a script on all the rigs to fix said errors for this animation then manually making the expressions. For future rigs I'll try rebuild it properly with your advice.... thanks!