multiple crashes

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: multiple crashes

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Dec 2015, 10:42

mc_axe wrote:what psu model you running on?
Do you get power loss or just crash?
I haven't got a clue, as I know absolutely nothing about hardware...
And I can't go back to the shop, as I ordered my machine from an online shop abroad.
Any other crashes in general when cpu or gpu on 100% on other apps? try to recreate crash conditions with a benchmark.
I think I must simply resist leaving the render preview window open while making changes. Yesterday I focused on modeling alone and luckily I did not experience any crashes. So it seems the problem really only occurs while rendering and trying to do stuff with the render preview window open.
By watching the performance tab in the Task Manager I already figured out that a preview render eats way more resources than a render region of the whole camera view. So now I am trying to change my workflow to opening up render regions with the refresh option off to see if that crashes my system less. And I am relearning the arcane art of "saving often"...
:(

edit: PS - Silly question: is it normal that rendering claims up to 100% of the cpu?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 05 Dec 2015, 17:28

First think i would do is open box and try push the connectors on to the hardware, if you have modular cables push them also on top of the PSU.
If you open the box try to see some label for the wattage number on the psu for example 650w or something

Yes cpu renders like always get the processor to 100% no matter how simple is the render.

You can use for example luxmark , download any version 3 or 3.1 choose a scene
and then try a few options cpu alone, gpu alone, cpu&gpu, and see if you get any crashes at all.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 07 Dec 2015, 01:20

There could be a hardware issue which only appears in very cpu stressful situations. have you tried stress-testing with other programs, just to rule it out?

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/software
I believe prime 95 64bit also works on windows 10. http://www.mersenne.org/download/

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 07 Dec 2015, 16:31

Couple of things to check:

Are you running the latest driver from NVidia (359.06 dated Dec 01, 2015)? If necessary, re-install the driver.
Is your GTX over clocked? You may need to down the OCC because the rendering is stressing the GPU.
Do you have a build-in Graphic chip and is there a conflict between the build-in graphic card and the GTX 970? If so, disable the build-in graphic chip and remove the driver.

I had that problem between the build-in chipset driver, the GTX driver and (believe it or not) the wi-fi driver. Window 10 is finicky :p

And ... window 10 has limited printer drivers, you have to load the driver for 10 (or window 8.1 if its not available) from the manufacturer. Pita.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 07 Dec 2015, 16:39

And,

Like you, I had bought a brand new machine but the reseller had done a clean install of window 10 from a OEM disk and forgot a bunch of drivers that were necessary for the "brand" of the machine. Make sure you are not in this condition by visiting the manufacturer and installing all the newest drivers for your brand.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Rork

Post by Rork » 07 Dec 2015, 16:49

Ah... yes.. That can be a pain in the behind.

If you don't know the particular hardware brand, you can use aida64 or speccy to 'sniff out' all the hardware.
With that known, you can browse the websites of the mentioned manufacturers too look for the latest drivers. Maybe publish a list of hardware after running one of the apps.

It maybe takes a couple of hours to hunt down the latest drivers, and install them, but in your case it could be more than worth the trouble.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Dec 2015, 17:12

Thanks guys. I've got my work cut out for me, ;)
especially considering I know absolutely nothing about hardware.
A couple of follow-up questions:
Daniel Brassard wrote:Are you running the latest driver from NVidia (359.06 dated Dec 01, 2015)? If necessary, re-install the driver.
Is your GTX over clocked? You may need to down the OCC because the rendering is stressing the GPU.
How do I check and remedy this?
Do you have a build-in Graphic chip and is there a conflict between the build-in graphic card and the GTX 970? If so, disable the build-in graphic chip and remove the driver.
Again: How do I check and remedy this?

edit: would this help any:
LIMITING THE NUMBER OF THREADS USED BY SOFTIMAGE???

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 07 Dec 2015, 17:54

Are you running the latest driver from NVidia (359.06 dated Dec 01, 2015)? If necessary, re-install the driver.
Check your NVidia driver, open the little NVidia icon in your "hidden icon" task bar and click on the NVidia icon or open the NVIDA control panel app. The general screen should be telling you what driver version you are using. If you don't have the latest driver, download it from NVidia via the updates panel or at:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 6079/en-us

To check your hardware you can use Window 10 device manager:

or speccy free download app:

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Post a screen grab of the device manager screen with the graphic adapter folder expanded if you wish.
To check if you are over-clocked, you will have to use the manufacturer app for the motherboard (ASUS, MSI, Intel, etc.) and down the occ via their OCC app. But this is last resource. I suspect a driver conflict or poor OpenGL/DirectX implementation
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Dec 2015, 19:30

According to TechPowerUp GPU-Z 0.8.6 the "GPU Clock/Memory/Boost" and the "Default Clock/Memory/Boost" values are the same,
so I assume my GPU is not overclocked. Is this correct?
2015-12-07 19_34_43-TechPowerUp GPU-Z 0.8.6.png
2015-12-07 19_34_43-TechPowerUp GPU-Z 0.8.6.png (23.53 KiB) Viewed 957 times
edit: according to my Device Manager there is no conflicting internal graphics solution present...
edit2: CPU-Z returns the following:
cpu-z.png
cpu-z.png (17.46 KiB) Viewed 942 times
BUMPing my edit from my previous post:
Hirazi Blue wrote:edit: would this help any:
LIMITING THE NUMBER OF THREADS USED BY SOFTIMAGE???

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 07 Dec 2015, 21:05

OK, from your screen grabs we know you are running the latest driver from NVidia and you are not overclocked (there are two ways to overclock .. via the motherboard (CPU and bus) and via the GPU, both are at default values. All good there).

Limiting the #thread of softimage ... not yet, only good if you want to do something else while Soft work in the background.

Look like you have a ASUS Z97-A motherboard. They come with an Integrated Graphics Processor- Intel® HD Graphics support. If true, we will have to make sure the integrated GPU is disable by the bios.

Do the device manager report two different graphic cards? Show me the expended portion of the device manager
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 07 Dec 2015, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Dec 2015, 21:17

The device manager only shows the Geforce GTX 970... ;)

edit: as far as I can tell the motherboard is called "maximus vii hero"
Attachments
devicemanager.png

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 07 Dec 2015, 21:26

Yep, it's an Intel based mobo Z97 type with integrated Intel graphic chipset. It look like from the screen grab that the integrated GPU has been disabled as it is not reported by the device manager.

All good.

Hum ..... Did you do a runonce.bat?
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

NNois

Post by NNois » 07 Dec 2015, 22:58

Ok, so you are stuck... If it was me i would try:

1. the inverse ??? disabling the nvidia card and using the integrated one. I know it will be very slow but at least you could spot the problem. or maybe you can plug an older one to check ?? so you can blame autodesk or microsoft or nvidia (or all of them !)

2. On the same vein I remember a switch i was using on early xsi version, an ENV variable to force xsi on a 1.2 opengl. Sadly i can't find it on the web but i'm sure about this one, this could too limit the power of your graphic card and determine if it's a driver related problem.
Did someone remember what's that variable ?

3. Check if you display in xsi is antialiased, displaying the rendertree/icetree connections and fonts antialiased is prone to crash !!!

4. XSI 2015 hang wayyyyyy too much than 2013 or 2014.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 07 Dec 2015, 23:59

NNois wrote:Ok, so you are stuck... If it was me i would try:

2. On the same vein I remember a switch i was using on early xsi version, an ENV variable to force xsi on a 1.2 opengl. Sadly i can't find it on the web but i'm sure about this one, this could too limit the power of your graphic card and determine if it's a driver related problem.
Did someone remember what's that variable ?
XSI_EMULATE_OPENGL=1.4
or 1.5 or 2.1
more about all env variables here.
By the way when we already about OpenGl, how about disabling the vertical sync, as we all know how SI is allergic about this one. Sometime it was automatic disable, but who knows when it comes to Win 10....

P.S. couldn't resist, one is missing:
XSI_DISABLE_EOL=1 :)

NNois

Post by NNois » 08 Dec 2015, 01:45

Mathaeus wrote:
NNois wrote: more about all env variables here.
Hirazi, you don't have to do hard things to add an env var, just use the softimage provided utility to open setenv.bat and add a line to the end of the file, this does the job well

Rork

Post by Rork » 08 Dec 2015, 20:27

Hi,

I suggest to download speccy and run that. The link is a couple of posts back. Than post the results.

Drivers, BIOS etc for the board can be found here: https://www.asus.com/nl/Motherboards/MA ... _Download/
I saw there's a fairly new BIOS, so you could also try that in addition to all latest drivers.

keep us posted, we'll get there in the end ;-)

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!