RETIREMENT Q&A

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

RETIREMENT Q&A

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Mar 2014, 20:44

I've opened this thread for specific questions (and hopefully answers) that arise from the retirement announcement. This is NOT a place for venting frustration at Autodesk, this is an attempt at answering questions. If you want to vent there are plenty of other threads for that!
%-(
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

IslandDreamer

Re: RETIREMENT Q&A

Post by IslandDreamer » 04 Mar 2014, 20:56

The licensing clause below has me the most troubled.

"Please note that the right to use the Softimage license will terminate at the end of the transition period if you are still on Subscription. You will be transitioned to the latest release of either 3ds Max or Maya depending on your initial choice. If you want to continue to use your Softimage license after Feb 1, 2016 you should not renew your Subscription contract for a period beyond that date. You will be able to continue to use Softimage but will forfeit any future updates to either 3ds Max or Maya."

This is an invitation to cancel your subscription before February, 2016. (And perhaps it's a ploy to sell a handful of new full licenses for Maya or Max.) My guess/hope is that Autodesk will change its mind, but what's to keep them from discontinuing our Softimage licenses further down the road?

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Mar 2014, 21:19

For the EDU folks out there his is what I have got from Maurice so far

The EDU suite will be treated like the commercial Ultimate Suite in that Softimage will be included for 2 more years but retired in 2016. However the free student licenses and ARC programs will be retired on March 28th

Maurice

We are on the ARC licenses so we are SOL for next year ;(
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 04 Mar 2014, 22:56

IslandDreamer wrote:The licensing clause below has me the most troubled.

"Please note that the right to use the Softimage license will terminate at the end of the transition period if you are still on Subscription. You will be transitioned to the latest release of either 3ds Max or Maya depending on your initial choice. If you want to continue to use your Softimage license after Feb 1, 2016 you should not renew your Subscription contract for a period beyond that date. You will be able to continue to use Softimage but will forfeit any future updates to either 3ds Max or Maya."

This is an invitation to cancel your subscription before February, 2016. (And perhaps it's a ploy to sell a handful of new full licenses for Maya or Max.) My guess/hope is that Autodesk will change its mind, but what's to keep them from discontinuing our Softimage licenses further down the road?

This has been answered by Maurice already, here's his post...

You can keep using the license you have in perpetuity, either by itself or augmented by other non-Autodesk software, a lot of which was discussed elsewhere.

Migrate to the Transition Bundle – this is a single license that allows you to use two products (Softimage and either Maya or 3ds Max). You will now be able to use both products concurrently (the license functions like a Suite license).
If you are on Subscription you can migrate at no cost. Even if you migrate you will still have two options depending on whether Maya (or 3ds Max) works for you or not:

If it is not working out for you, you can stop renewing subscription – you will then still be able to use both products in perpetuity (at whatever release version Maya or 3ds Max is on at the time)

If it is working for you and you renew Subscription, after two years when we stop support, you will be moved to wither a Maya-only or 3ds Max-only subscription plan.

If you want to migrate but continue to access Softimage after two years, we recommend that you not transition all your seats or if you do, do not keep the Subscription current on all of them – that way you will have a few licenses that you can maintain to access older projects

IslandDreamer

Post by IslandDreamer » 04 Mar 2014, 23:20

Bellsey wrote:This has been answered by Maurice already, here's his post...
Sorry I must be dense. Or I am merely incredulous.

If I renew in 2015, will Softimage still work beyond 2016? If I renew again in 2016, will Softimage not work?

EDIT: I'm not taking advantage of any free sidegrades. I'm already an Ultimate subscriber.

luceric

Post by luceric » 04 Mar 2014, 23:39

IslandDreamer wrote:Sorry I must be dense. Or I am merely incredulous.

If I renew in 2015, will Softimage still work beyond 2016? If I renew again in 2016, will Softimage not work?

EDIT: I'm not taking advantage of any free sidegrades. I'm already an Ultimate subscriber.
Your Softimage 2015 license will technically work forever. But if you're still on subscription in two years and accept upgrading to the 2017 suite, then you agree to not use Sofitmage anymore as part of the contract. This is all based on the honor system, just like the "previous version usage right" you get with subscription, which you agree to give up when you cancel your sub.

jerry7

Post by jerry7 » 04 Mar 2014, 23:41

does retired means never deliver or not develop? how about much old scene files? can maya will import them?

IslandDreamer

Post by IslandDreamer » 05 Mar 2014, 00:13

luceric wrote:This is all based on the honor system, just like the "previous version usage right" you get with subscription, which you agree to give up when you cancel your sub.
I must be very honorable then, because I never thought to test it. :ymblushing:

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 05 Mar 2014, 00:16

luceric wrote:

Your Softimage 2015 license will technically work forever. But if you're still on subscription in two years and accept upgrading to the 2017 suite, then you agree to not use Sofitmage anymore as part of the contract. This is all based on the honor system, just like the "previous version usage right" you get with subscription, which you agree to give up when you cancel your sub.
The Ultimate Suite will remain with the same product composition for two years: Softimage 2015 and whatever the latest versions of Max, Maya, Mobu and Mudbox may be during that time period. After two years, Softimage will be removed from the suite.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 05 Mar 2014, 00:38

jerry7 wrote:does retired means never deliver or not develop? how about much old scene files? can maya will import them?
Retirement means that the product will no longer be actively developed.
Softimage 2015 will be last release. Current subscription customers will receive this release.

Ongoing maintenance development (Hot Fixes and Service Packs) will continue for all customers (Subscription and non-Subscription) for a two-year period (until April 30, 2016). All customers will be entitled to any Hot Fixes or Service Packs released for their version of software.

I don't understand the Maya comment. Maya doesn't support Softimage scene files.

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 05 Mar 2014, 00:50

luceric wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand. I have a Maya Entertainment suite Premium, containing Softimage. What exactly happens if I renew my subscription?
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 05 Mar 2014, 00:51

Bellsey wrote:
luceric wrote:

The Ultimate Suite will remain with the same product composition for two years: Softimage 2015 and whatever the latest versions of Max, Maya, Mobu and Mudbox may be during that time period. After two years, Softimage will be removed from the suite.
And then youre not allowed to use it anymore? This is really confusing. Sounds like if I want to use SI forever I should not continue my subscription if I have one and stop using maya. Oh, and Autodesk is selling suites containing a product that is discontinued already? How arrogant are these guys....
I'm now part of an endangered species...

luceric

Post by luceric » 05 Mar 2014, 01:31

It's completely safe to upgrade to Softimage 2015 or the ECS 2015.

It's the year after that you should, indeed, cancel your subscription in order to keep your perpetual license to Softimage. It's crazy, but I'm just telling you what the facts are. There is one bright spot for Premium Suite: you'll be automatically upgraded to the Ultimate Suite, which you means you get Max. There is no 2015 Premium Suite.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Mar 2014, 10:30

Speaking of "previous versions rights": will the "transitional" license at least include those?

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 05 Mar 2014, 10:41

I am assuming there will be a limit as to how far back you can go( 2011ish I guess) , but I am fairly sure they will allow that.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Mar 2014, 10:50

Yes, I think so as well. In these uncertain times it doesn't hurt to ask for some extra confirmation, though.
;)