Turbulize particle velocity -- some particles get stuck

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
adrencg

Turbulize particle velocity -- some particles get stuck

Post by adrencg » 29 Jan 2014, 22:08

I've noticed that every time I use that node, there's always groups of particles that hang in the air, while other do their thing and move around correctly. Does anyone know why this happens?

Tekano

Re: Turbulize particle velocity -- some particles get stuck

Post by Tekano » 30 Jan 2014, 09:42

yes its a known problem with strong turbulance that particles get stuck in 'valleys' (not just in XSI :D ) try curl noise instead, whilst a bit more setup I do believe that is what it was designed for and you will not get particles 'stuck' unless there is some other logic in your tree making them 'stick' in the air
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 30 Jan 2014, 11:38

One thing that has confused me about the turbulise node, in the past, is that the values range from -1 to 1 rather than 0 to 1 as I'd assumed, causing some strange behaviour.

I'm not saying this is the reason behind your problem but its worth bearing in mind anyway.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 30 Jan 2014, 13:19

Tekano wrote:yes its a known problem with strong turbulance that particles get stuck in 'valleys' (not just in XSI :D ) try curl noise instead, whilst a bit more setup I do believe that is what it was designed for and you will not get particles 'stuck' unless there is some other logic in your tree making them 'stick' in the air
I like Curl Noise, but when I use modulate by noise to activate the effect, it will only occur inside the area of the null.