Migrate preferences (urgent plz)

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
t0ol

Migrate preferences (urgent plz)

Post by t0ol » 18 Jun 2013, 19:49

Hello ppl,

Tomorrow I`m moving to Barcelona and Ive just realized I dont know how to export all my custom settings. I`ve found a way to export preferences, but what about everything else (custom keybinds, shelfes etc)?
Migrate menu doesnt offer exporting, only imports from older versions..

Plz help me save some time )

Daniel Brassard

Re: Migrate preferences (urgent plz)

Post by Daniel Brassard » 18 Jun 2013, 20:14

Copy your user and/or workgroup directory and associated files.

Make sure you copy your plugins/addons, custom shaders, custom tools and compound as well if they are not in your user or workgroup directory.

Copy any custom locations for plugins, compounds or scripts installed that are outside the factory, user or workgroup directory.

Copy your environment variable if you made modification to it.

If you have some project files or assets, you may want to copy those as well.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

t0ol

Post by t0ol » 18 Jun 2013, 20:25

Daniel Brassard wrote:Copy your user and/or workgroup directory and associated files.

Make sure you copy your plugins/addons, custom shaders, custom tools and compound as well if they are not in your user or workgroup directory.

Copy any custom locations for plugins, compounds or scripts installed that are outside the factory, user or workgroup directory.

Copy your environment variable if you made modification to it.

If you have some project files or assets, you may want to copy those as well.
Ah nice, found everything I need in /users/.../autodesk/SI
So if I copy everything from there to a new computer (under a different windows user name) it should be loaded in XSI, correct?

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 18 Jun 2013, 22:04

Only for those that are self-install (plugins, shaders, presets)

You may still need to install a plugin or addon manually if they are not recognized at start-up.

Don't forget to "migrate" your custom toolbars, layouts, keymaps, commands, events, presets, scripts, and SPDL files.

If you change you XSI environment in the old machine, you may need to do the same on the new machine if required.

Don't forget to backup in case you do a mistake that will prevent SI from starting.

If you are moving to a same version (example 2013 to 2013) of Soft that may be fine. Could be different thought if some plugins are for an older version of Softimage. You may have to find the newer version of the plugin that work on the newer version of Softimage.

For your consideration.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

t0ol

Post by t0ol » 18 Jun 2013, 22:06

Daniel Brassard wrote:Only for those that are self-install (plugins, shaders, presets)

You may still need to install a plugin or addon manually if they are not recognized at start-up.

Don't forget to "migrate" your custom toolbars, layouts, keymaps, commands, events, presets, scripts, and SPDL files.

If you change you XSI environment in the old machine, you may need to do the same on the new machine if required.

Don't forget to backup in case you do a mistake that will prevent SI from starting.

If you are moving to a same version (example 2013 to 2013) of Soft that may be fine. Could be different thought if some plugins are for an older version of Softimage. You may have to find the newer version of the plugin that work on the newer version of Softimage.

For your consideration.
Got ya. I`ll be moving to the same version and reinstalling some plugins isnt an issue. Thanks alot.

t0ol

Post by t0ol » 20 Jun 2013, 22:00

t0ol wrote:
Daniel Brassard wrote:Only for those that are self-install (plugins, shaders, presets)

For your consideration.
Got ya. I`ll be moving to the same version and reinstalling some plugins isnt an issue. Thanks alot.
Worked like a charm, like I never left home, done in 5 mins.. Tnx again.