Back on topic...
Finaly got a chance to test out 2013. Quick impressions:
- Cap hole is much, MUCH faster.
---> not a very good benchmark but found iamVFX's test
with torus 80 000 polys = 50sec on 2012SAP; same torus in 2013 takes ONE sec to cap. Good job there.
- Slice between polys seems improved as well but i just cant believe this is what they think a modeling tool should look like.
- The interaction is much better than i expected, but the conversion process is slow as hell.
- Its actually useful for light/shadow adjustments.
- Retime tool is alright, but i haven't found a way to make keys respect frame snapping. They just get interpolated so you end up with keys inbetween the frames and have to fix them afterwards (not a huge chore, just right click and execute "move keys to nearest frame" but there should be an option to do this automatically).
- About mixer track color: if you make it possible to set them dark, why not make text appear in inverted color? Not a big deal, just dont get the logic behind this...
- Lots of annoying bugs got fixed, thats good.
Had a chance to look into new maya as well:
- Node editor is a joke. At least it has a [tab] node creation menu (cant forgive softimage devs for ignoring such an obvious feature). Other than that, its far from being user friendly or even useful at this point.
- nHair is very nice, though. Solver is fast, collisions and self collisions seem all accurate and stable. Obviously, you'd need some time to figure it all out but it seems sound.
- ...and found this in the prefs:
Its just mocking you right now, but hopefully its a base for a future softimage interaction model... Or maybe not. Time will tell.