Caching Syflex + Operators into an animation clip?

Discussions about simulation, hair and cloth in SOFTIMAGE©
sirdavid32

Caching Syflex + Operators into an animation clip?

Post by sirdavid32 » 17 Apr 2015, 01:50

Hello, is there a way to cache (plot) sylfex live operators + turbulize mesh operator into an animation clip (on the animation mixer a blue track with keyframes) for the deforms?

Chached files on .pc2 and .icecache... and I can´t use multiple instances without softimage crashing.

Please help.
Thanks.

druitre

Re: Caching Syflex + Operators into an animation clip?

Post by druitre » 19 Apr 2015, 15:34

Hi, as far as I know deformation will never be stored as keyframes, not possible by definition. But I can say I've had multiple instances of .icecache or .pc2 cached clips in the animation mixer lots of times, so that definitely should work. Can you say a bit more about your scene, how you ran the caches and how you are applying them back?

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 28 Apr 2015, 19:39

Am using the cache manager.

1. I create a 4x3 grid (rectangular flat grid) - this has uvs and will simulate a photo paper.
2. I assign texture (image sequence 0-128 pictures) and assign to mySpriteID compound on Ice to feed source time.
3. I create an Ice tree so I can use Syflex to create a cloth sim (paper) without gravity. I use syflex wind to create turbulence.
4. I go to the (4) Ice tab and select : Cache manager. Write the entire timeline, caching ALL parameters (color, mass, etc..) I get my sim played in "all".
5. Re-apply the cache (.icecache) sequence to the grid, warning message: you will delete your live sim, and use a mixer operator (yes). So
I apply the cached sim to the grid and now it´s a cached sim on the mixer (orange track color).
6. I duplicate the grid 2 more times, and on the mixer, offset their position so they will have different times to playback
7. I create my pCloud. And assign a group instance to read all 3 grid (photo papers with already cached sim)
8. Set random sizes, and playback timeline in "RT".
9. I simulated a 1000 frames, so I scrub forward (say frame 200) and since the photo papers were reading an image sequence I see all my photo pictures
generated when I "Q".

So here´s the problem: In order to get variations for the instances I use: Instance displacement control node, offset 2, start at 0 end 200. But the paper simulation now WONT play, and I see some instances started at different times but they are not animated (cache is not reading into them). And also at this point if I preview (Q) I get a blank black screen. then I preview the same frame over and it will display particles.

Part of this problem is a message on render stats mentioning "recalculating instance animation" and then I get a black screen, but I manipulate the previewer (q) just a little and particles jump back to their position.

To try to solve the problem I made an "set initial state" on the particles (kinda like to freeze all pictures) and then I made a cache on them. But like I said, then what happens is I loose the instance read of the main instance group objects (the 3 photo paper grids) and then I only see FLAT static papers (grids) when I re-apply the cache to the pCloud that emmits the pictures.

Basically like so, a week, breaking my head around this... :(

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 08 May 2015, 04:12

Perhaps a silly question, but when you cache your sim, is the geometry also part of the cache?

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 11 May 2015, 22:19

The geometry (in a much later process) is reading a point cache.
Anyways, it doesn´t playback either.. :(

druitre

Post by druitre » 12 May 2015, 11:12

Hi,
it's kind of hard to see whether the problem is with the caching itself or with the reading of the additional ICEdata, could you upload a (simplified) version of your scene? Just one pic on one sprite eq?

Jasper

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 12 May 2015, 21:41

Is it perhaps the "Instance displacement control" node? which I beleive only works with actual (uncached) instances.