Softbody Dynamics

Discussions about simulation, hair and cloth in SOFTIMAGE©
thorsnuts

Softbody Dynamics

Post by thorsnuts » 05 Dec 2014, 16:46

Hello...

I was wondering if there is a reliable way to use Soft-body effects? I don't know if ICE or the traditional soft-body would work best.

My goal is to try and have this simple sphere interact with the floor and other things it runs into. I also have animation on this sphere rig, that I would like to see some secondary jiggle.

Can ICE even produce these effects? Does lagoa simulate soft-body?

I really don't know the best way to go about this.

Any advice?

Thank you again,

gaboraa

Re: Softbody Dynamics

Post by gaboraa » 05 Dec 2014, 16:53

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 06 Dec 2014, 00:44

Seems that "flubber" has quite a history in Softimage :)

http://xsisupport.com/tag/flubber/

Also Rip Robbin Williams

Rip Softimage? I woul'dnt think "Rip" would be applicable until something as let's say as "integrated, intuitive, easy, stirdy & convenient while very performant and advanced" would eventually show-up.

Moving to something that could more easily considered overall to be "a step forward" in respects to it's own still pretty unique strengths.. I think mostly having to do with everything working together, and .. working! (with comparatively generally -way- less bumps, zigzagging, or windy/difficult conditions on the road)

And that has sort-of has always been so, but while still very much true! in general, or to make flubber and other (incredible) custom things :D

thorsnuts

Post by thorsnuts » 06 Dec 2014, 22:46

thanks for the help...

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 06 Dec 2014, 23:23

thorsnuts wrote:Hello...
My goal is to try and have this simple sphere interact with the floor and other things it runs into. I also have animation on this sphere rig, that I would like to see some secondary jiggle.
If it's about jiggling around already deformed object (there's envelope on it, or like), I'd give a chance to Syflex Mimic constrain, complete Syflex cloth applied on static copy. Set the Mimic distance to something more than zero, set strong mimic damp to do not jiggle forever, that should be it. Old, no ICE Syflex should be more than enough for this.

thorsnuts

Post by thorsnuts » 07 Dec 2014, 22:54

Thanks.. i'll try that.

I've been playing with the traditional Soft-Body as well. Shouldn't that be the best way? ICE makes me forget about these other tools sometimes.

thanks again.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 07 Dec 2014, 23:18

thorsnuts wrote:
I've been playing with the traditional Soft-Body as well. Shouldn't that be the best way? ICE makes me forget about these other tools sometimes.
Afaik, usual method for getting collision, only by ICE nodes, it is a simplified, generalized. Get closest location to collider, test of penetration, repeat few times. It works if speed is low, that's it. All that *if* collision and self-collision is implemented in particular compound.
I'm pretty sure Syflex uses a much, much more refined methods, also , Sylfex is newer and stronger engine than old SI cloth and soft body. And that score will stay forever, for some reason related to AD policy :)
Btw if you want jello look, there's Syflex flesh - this should allow your sphere to jump alone, without animation, also it can give a 'decentralized' jiggling. Tip: if you are changing the number of subdivision on non ICE Syflex flesh, just reload the scene to get it to update.

thorsnuts

Post by thorsnuts » 08 Dec 2014, 16:02

awesome advice dude... thank you very much