Kristinka hair jitter

Discussions about simulation, hair and cloth in SOFTIMAGE©
mattmos

Kristinka hair jitter

Post by mattmos » 27 Aug 2013, 12:17

Hi,

I'm using kristinka to emit non-simulated hair from a deforming emitter for eyebrows. When I use the 'random from any mesh' mode, I get a nicer distribution, but as it deforms, the strands jitter and move around. When I use the 'Guides and Filler from triangles' I get locked down strands, but patchy distribution due to a low-ish resolution emitter mesh.

Does anyone know a way to lock down the 'random from any mesh' mode strands?

Thanks!
Matt

Mathaeus

Re: Kristinka hair jitter

Post by Mathaeus » 27 Aug 2013, 12:52

hello,

in any case of un-simulated ICE tree, it expects the static emitter and deformed copy, using 'deform hair' node. I think there's sample model in download, with setup. "random from any mesh" is "generate sample set" ICE node under the hood, that's how it behaves in un-simulated Ice tree - each frame is kind of new reference pose.
(in simulated ICE tree, first frame of sim is reference pose)

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 27 Aug 2013, 12:59

Ah ok cool, thanks for the reply (and the compound set!) Do you think it would be possible to save the generate sample set to ice data to use rather than have the extra mesh in the scene?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 27 Aug 2013, 13:28

mattmos wrote: Do you think it would be possible to save the generate sample set to ice data to use rather than have the extra mesh in the scene?
Extra mesh is not pleasant, but it seems to be most reliable way, as far as I know. As long everything relies on factory nodes. Should possible to cache the location, but, I think reliability is about fifty fifty, during all SI versions. Otherwise, maybe there's way for partial workaround here and there, which probably makes only more confusion.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 27 Aug 2013, 14:50

Reliable always wins in the end. The deform compound is working well, thanks. Sometimes I want to over-streamline and the idea of importing one compound is very appealing...

Hope you don't mind one more question - I'm using 2014 sp2 (and can't revert to an earlier version) and some of the model examples aren't behaving themselves - or rather if I open a new scene, and import a model, it will work the first time, but then any model imported after that kind of explodes, doesn't follow shaper nodes like nurbs or curves, and hair is bunched up inside the head or sticking straight out. Is there anything I should be looking out for? They work with 2012 just fine :/

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 27 Aug 2013, 15:46

mattmos wrote: I'm using 2014 sp2 (and can't revert to an earlier version) and some of the model examples aren't behaving themselves - or rather if I open a new scene, and import a model, it will work the first time, but then any model imported after that kind of explodes, doesn't follow shaper nodes like nurbs or curves, and hair is bunched up inside the head or sticking straight out. Is there anything I should be looking out for? They work with 2012 just fine :/
Could be something with references ( calls to geometries) - I think it worth to try to renew the references to geometries, just by dropping the geo from explorer into ICE tree, reconnecting, cleaning ICE tree using 'remove unused nodes', finally saving model from SI2014. I think it should create "this" instead of model name, like in samples.
Who knows, maybe only saving as SI2014 model is enough.

Another that comes to mind, could be old fashion "self" reference inside all compounds (like set data> self.strandposition) - if I'm correct, there's some built in command to change this, to "this" too.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 27 Aug 2013, 16:23

I tried creating a new pointcloud and copying over the nodes, which had no effect, but when the scene is closed and re-opened its fine again. Weird behaviour but not the end of the world, I was guessing it was something to do with the changes in sp2 - but its all factory compound stuff in kristinka right?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 27 Aug 2013, 17:03

Compounds are XML definitions, but, how they are interpreted, is the same through versions, I don't know. Might be some new layer of ICE procedures, under the hood. Afaik there are procedures for checking the ICE tree (definitively it's not only from left to right, top to bottom)some kind of internal caching, what not. Anyway if works after saving, that's good.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 30 Aug 2013, 13:20

I've got to say this an awesome set of compounds, really allows some non-destructive and artistic control, and very quick to work with. Thanks for sharing, and great work!

That out the way ;) is there any way to raycast strandposition to the polygon surface? I can do pointposition no problem, but struggling to convert geo locations back to new strandpositions. This is to push intersecting strands back outside the geo.

Edit: Ignore that. Just cut off distance on the get closest location node too low doh!