Rendering UV out of 0-1 space

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Maximus

Rendering UV out of 0-1 space

Post by Maximus » 21 Nov 2016, 14:15

Hey guys, i've stumbled into something that apparently was easy but i couldnt figure it out, maybe i'm overlooking some parameter.

I have a cube with a simple texture and i've intentionally altered the UV to have one face being textured while the other faces being out of the UV 0-1 space.
Now when you render this, XSI render the texture only on the 0-1 space uv mapped face, while the remaining faces are rendered black.

What i want is not wrapping the texture, but just render the texture on the face i put on the uv 0-1 space, while the other faces should have a default shader.
I hope i explained myself. Maya has an option to do this, its called "default coloR" in the maya screenshot you can see i've set that to grey so Maya renders the texture on the face i want and other faces are rendered with a default grey shader. Does XSI have anything like this?

Thanks, Max

Mathaeus

Re: Rendering UV out of 0-1 space

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Nov 2016, 15:13

afaik there is no Render Tree node, able to return such info (I could be wrong, anyway). Perhaps to do masking by something else, let's say by vertex color applied to polygons, which just loads fine in Softimage Render Tree. Or, by another bitmap using a second UV projection which *is* wrapped, contrary to first one. Or, material on cluster, as last option.

NNois

Post by NNois » 21 Nov 2016, 15:31

default color no, but you should definitly get the extended edge by turning off the wrapping and clamping to the border values

juanloredo

Post by juanloredo » 22 Nov 2016, 06:57

It seems to work if you put the image as a layer, in the diffuse channel. But it also seems like Redshift does not support layers.This made me create another post in the forum asking if the layers were broken in 2015, then i switched to mental ray and they work.....Maybe you can ask in Redshift forum if layers are supported or if they are planning to add support in new releases.
layer_texture.jpg
Also by adding more textures layers and changing the UV cordinates you can move the image to other uv tiles. Which could work nicely with multi-tile workflows (not sure, I just stumble across this) (offtopic; this guys shows a different way to do multi-tile textures: https://www.xuanprada.com/?offset=1320763140000 Using the Mix 8, which is also not supported by Redshift)
layer_texture2.jpg

juanloredo

Post by juanloredo » 22 Nov 2016, 07:51

I found a work around, with Redshift. Since it does support Mix 2 colors, you can put your desired color in the base color, put your image in the color one, set the mode to Decal and the weight color to white.
Also you can keep duplicating this node branch and connecting it to the base color of the first mix, change the UV coordinates of the second image, and you can have another image in another UV tile, in this case nike logo that is a png image (probably pixaleted)
I'm assuming this is the only way to do multi-UV tiles in Redshift.
solution.jpg
Good luck!

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 22 Nov 2016, 18:14

thanks everybody, for now went with the workaround in redshift :)