Custom picture plane

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
tarkovsky

Custom picture plane

Post by tarkovsky » 27 Oct 2016, 16:45

Hi all.
Probably a no-go, but thought I would test the question anyway:

Is it possible to make make a custom picture plane of the camera? Not flat or spherical - more like an arbitrary wavy shape?
Open to any thinkable methods - custom lens shaders (sounds advanced, but if possible, which renderer could it be done with), or freak multiple camera rig (obvious but how to stitch each output seamlessly)?
Also if someone has knowledge of a similar setup outside of SI, it's still very welcome :)

Thanks!

Mathaeus

Re: Custom picture plane

Post by Mathaeus » 28 Oct 2016, 01:02

tarkovsky wrote:Hi all.
Probably a no-go, but thought I would test the question anyway:

Is it possible to make make a custom picture plane of the camera? Not flat or spherical - more like an arbitrary wavy shape?
Open to any thinkable methods - custom lens shaders (sounds advanced, but if possible, which renderer could it be done with), or freak multiple camera rig (obvious but how to stitch each output seamlessly)?
Also if someone has knowledge of a similar setup outside of SI, it's still very welcome :)

Thanks!
Forget me if I misunderstood the subject , anyway
If you mean something like rendering 2 or 4 or more different pics with different cameras, then stitching the pieces in single image, it's 'optical center shift' that allows that, 1/2 of aperture gives one 'perfectly' matching step, something like +1/2 for one and -1/2 for another camera. As far as I know this works in almost same way in SI, Maya and Houdini.