Redshift gotchas?

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Redshift gotchas?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Feb 2016, 13:48

As I am still considering investing in Redshift as a final investment in this hobby, I was wondering if the driver issues in "Windows 10" mentioned in this thread
have already been resolved and which driver version would be preferable for my Geforce 970 running "Windows 10"?

edit & PS: how does node-locked licensing work? Is this based on the MAC-address like Autodesk licensing?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 13 Feb 2016, 15:22

I've had some issues with redshift (win7).. just trying it out and moving a light with the preview window refreshing, it froze Softimage.
Ming you, that might be a deadlock problem within Softimage itself.
you can use redshift with watermark and pay only when you're ready to do final renders.
not sure what you meant about 3delight being dead, did you mean the softimage plugin?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Feb 2016, 16:28

luceric wrote:not sure what you meant about 3delight being dead, did you mean the softimage plugin?
I indeed meant the Softimage plugin: they more or less admitted to having stopped support for the free version,
of which the last version has still some "showstopping" issues IMHO.
Don't know if they still actively support the paid version though.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 13 Feb 2016, 20:49

Hirazi Blue wrote: edit & PS: how does node-locked licensing work? Is this based on the MAC-address like Autodesk licensing?
You can activate/deactivate the license on any machine, it's not locked to a MAC adress or whatever, but you need an internet connection to switch the license to another machine.
http://docs.redshift3d.com/Default.html ... enses.html
luceric wrote:I've had some issues with redshift (win7).. just trying it out and moving a light with the preview window refreshing, it froze Softimage.
Ming you, that might be a deadlock problem within Softimage itself.
This also happens with other renderers, Softimages' IPR was never 100% stable and reliable, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of a bug in Redshift. In those cases I would suggest to send them a bug report, inlcuding all necessary log files and scene files. I did this multiple times and from my experience, bugs get fixed within one week in most cases.