Help with realtime shaders

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
minilogoguy18

Help with realtime shaders

Post by minilogoguy18 » 10 Aug 2014, 01:33

I've tried googling around but haven't had much luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get realtime shaders in the directX or OpenGL viewport? I just wanna set up a simple diffuse, normal and spec map for a game model, thanks for any info.

FXDude

Re: Help with realtime shaders

Post by FXDude » 10 Aug 2014, 03:09

While a number of (standard) .cgfx shaders could work, I found this one (orginally a skin shader) to be the most complete (working) one (that I know of)

having all the things you mentionned plus freznel control and all sorts of things (in a looong property page)
Attachments
lcSkin.cgfx.zip
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 10 Aug 2014, 04:13

Thanks for the help bu the same thing happens as the last time I tried loading an .fx file, the ppg just stays empty, even if I close it out and open it again by double clicking on the node in the render tree.

Are there any "stock" nodes that I can use to achieve the result I'm looking for since the 2 user made .fx files I've tried loading didn't work?

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 11 Aug 2014, 00:54

I don't know what's making your shaders not display,

But I can just copy .CGFX files into my %User%\Autodesk\Softimage 20XX\Application\phenolib\cgfx\ directory,
and they show up in the 'Realtime' category in the RenderTree from where I can drag them (and see their property pages)
(I'm using 2013)

Or you could also always use the 'HighQuality' display mode, (with much easier shader authoring with regular RT nodes)
but keep in mind that the shaders willl need to be compiled (a few seconds with lots of shaders) the first time you enable HQ mode.

cmallard

Post by cmallard » 13 Aug 2014, 11:20

I made an OpenGL shader a while ago with the GLSL nodes. You could display several textures with it. You can open the smaller version in the zip and see the code. It's hosted on rray.de/xsi
http://traypen.com/rr/bak/mallard/OpenG ... s-1.05.zip

There are a ton of parameters inside, but uniform are the parameters from outside, varying are variables that are shared between vertex and fragment shaders, and OGLTextures are your textures. Advanced/attributes are the attributes provided by Softimage.

There are also shader presets in the GLSL shader node with a basic point light shader with no texture.

I remember I put several hacks in my compound, I think it was to use several texture projections so if the basic GLSL node is buggy try to use the one in my compound.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 14 Aug 2014, 06:35

Yes I use it frequently to visualse & tweak texture layers!!
(Say for positionning/dosing higher frequency detail map with larger maps to breakup any tiling and allow for any scale.. & doing so in realtime :] )
it's great & thanks very much for that! :)