Unified Sampling and Final Gather Question

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Rez007

Unified Sampling and Final Gather Question

Post by Rez007 » 04 Jul 2014, 18:11

Hi Guys,

I just have a quick couple of questions that I am looking for some help with. For the Sampling Contrast in the Final Gather Advanced settings panel, what do you guys find as a good number for this? The default is at .200 for RGB values but I didn't know if it might be better to set that to lets say something like .05 for RGB.

Unified Sampling: I am looking to see if anyone has some good settings that they have found to work decent (with relative speed in mind). I am looking for something for a still frame and what might also be good for an animation (different settings are okay). Currently, when I am rendering out an object that will be composited later on, I for some reason cannot get a crisp edge like I used to with normal AA. Even if I set my sampling to Min: 100 Max: 500 Quality 4 Cutoff: 0 some edges always seem not crisp (using Mitchell 4 framebuffer). I tend to notice it the most on straight edges. Am I using wrong settings or missing something entirely?

Thank you in Advance for Your Help,

nDman

Re: Unified Sampling and Final Gather Question

Post by nDman » 05 Jul 2014, 15:50

About "Sampling Contrast in the Final Gather Advanced settings panel":
It's a very important and effective parameter to have better FG sampling without increasing render time too much.
Decreasing the values off “Sampling Contrast” will improve the quality off sampling but if we do it equally for all RGB channels its waste of time to calculate samples more than that needed.

Naturally our eye are more sensitive to “red/green” color range than “blue/yellow” so it’s better to force renderer to do more sampling in that areas for both FG and AA.

This is very effective and I use it in this way for all of my works and I have great FG and AA with reasonable render times.

FG

AA

About “Unified Sampling”:
I found playing with “Quality” and “Cutoff” parameters are much effective than playing with sampling “Min/Max” numbers.

Rez007

Re: Unified Sampling and Final Gather Question

Post by Rez007 » 08 Jul 2014, 01:26

Hi nDman,

Thank you for the very thorough explanation and the time it must have taken to put it together. It is much appreciated for the images and suggestions. I am going to fiddle around with the Unified Sampling with the information you supplied as that might work better. I tend to get my "fuzzy" edges when an object renders against a transparent background (As in, an HDR sphere for lighting/reflections with "Primary Rays" turned off, leaving a black background). I am going to give it a shot.

Thanks Again for the Help!