Textures with Transparency Render with White Jagged Edges

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
fortedsx

Textures with Transparency Render with White Jagged Edges

Post by fortedsx » 22 Jun 2014, 05:37

I'm trying to render a bunch of trees against a sky texture but when I do, a bunch of jagged boxes appear along the edges of the tree.

When I remove the sky background, the jagged boxes disappear along with them

I made sure the leaves texture was transparent when I imported it into Softimage. This is what the texture looks like in photoshop:

...and how it appears in softimage:

What am I doing wrong? If anyone can help me solve this problem, you'll be my hero :)

Draise

Re: Textures with Transparency Render with White Jagged Edges

Post by Draise » 22 Jun 2014, 08:54

What image file are you using? Sometimes you may have to use a Picker to separate the alpha and use that for your transparency.

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 25 Jun 2014, 23:53

as a sidenote its better to use extra alpha texture maps which are good defined of what is opaque and which areas not.

NNois

Post by NNois » 26 Jun 2014, 00:26

this is very simple,
That's because you're using transparency(refraction) to drive your leaves alpha,
So what we are seeing here is the refraction ray going out out of depth before hitting your sky

In softimage / Mental ray renderer you have a Optimization Tab where you will find a ray depth setting just inscrease your refraction/combined depth here

OR

use the sprite rendertree node who sets for you an unlimited raydepth, just plug your texture to the input of the sprite node

;-)

PS: please check also than your sky bakground is visible in transparency/refrection rays in the visibility property of your sky object, for example if your sky is only visible for the primary rays it's not right your sky needs to be visible for transparency rays too