Arnold texture cache not working correctly?

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Dwindleflip

Arnold texture cache not working correctly?

Post by Dwindleflip » 16 May 2014, 19:34

Can anyone confirm that the texture cache for .tx mipmap textures is not working with sitoa softimage? I did a test in maya and softimage with 88 8k textures. In softimage it will not render unless you either set the texture cache to 20GB or let it load up into ram without the cache. The reason being is the textures take 20GB of memory to load in full. In Maya it takes 1.5GB total. These are .tx mipmapped textures. Something is not right.

Both render settings are similar, accept unmipmapped (on), accept untiled (on), use existing .tx (on). In maya I can set the texture cache to 1024 and it renders almost instantly. It loads the mipmaps only into memory where as with softimage it appears to be trying to load the full resolution no matter what. Even with use existing .tx on.

The difference is drastic! I mean maya is done with the image in a few seconds where as in softimage its slowly and barely still loading the first tile at its lowest progressive render step.

If I set both maya and softimage to a texture cache of 20GB. Softimage will use 20GB. Maya will use 1.5GB because it appears to be loading the mipmaps only which is the expected behavior.

Tenshi

Re: Arnold texture cache not working correctly?

Post by Tenshi » 07 Jun 2014, 04:44

I had some troubles with textures too, in sitoa 3.0.1. I can't render sometimes, and the "render is aborted", I don't know if this has something to do with the thing your explaining here.

btw Where do you change the "cache" for memory?

Dwindleflip

Re: Arnold texture cache not working correctly?

Post by Dwindleflip » 13 Jun 2014, 06:22

textures tab in render settings has all your settings. Only time I think it wont render some textures is when you have reject non tiled images on in settings. Anyways the mipmapped texture cache doesnt seem to be working. I'm in the process of moving to maya anyways.