append fg points and render time

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
rpmaguire

append fg points and render time

Post by rpmaguire » 15 Jan 2014, 17:37

Does "append FG points to file" progressively add to render time?

The render started out taking a 1:30 a frame to render , then 7 hours later the frames were taking 9:00.

I aborted the render, changed the setting back to "overwrite existing file" ... and now the frames are back to 1:30 a frame?

Thanks,
Ryan

SpookyMunky

Re: append fg points and render time

Post by SpookyMunky » 17 Jan 2014, 10:07

emm, I am probably very wrong but in my mind the append to file keeps adding fg points to a cache that has to be calculated (possibly to reduce fg flickering ?) depending on your scene the end result could be a gradual increase in the amount of calculations over time ?

I really don't know, sorry :) its an option I always found really damaging to scenes early on, I assume purely because I don't know how to use it :P. Initially I thought it was for speeding up renders but unless you know what you are doing though you can damage the file and waste hours of cpu time. As a rule I make sure things are set to calculate per frame, have a feeling there is a much better explenation though, would love to hear it aswell :)

julius

Post by julius » 17 Jan 2014, 15:36

If I remember right, this task is not multithreaded, and yes, it takes more and more time as new fg points are added.
The tip is that you have not to add new fg points for each frame.
Depending of your camera animation, you can just add new fg points each 10 or 20 frames, and it'll be perfect.

SpookyMunky

Post by SpookyMunky » 17 Jan 2014, 16:17

Didnt the multithreaded bit get fixed ?.. cant think on a previous scene that'd load up with textures etc perfectly to test it on, just adding fg to a random heavy scene and telling it to append Im not seeing anything as bad as single core usage from the past.. hmm :)

I do remember doing fg runs with append for every 10th frame before doing full renders with it set to read only.. files for me kept becoming randomly corrupt though so a waste of a days cpu time hehe.. to be fair they mighta fixed that when fixing the multithrededness ? ;)

by corrupt I mean randomly scene would just have a huge light / shadow blowout.. wasnt fun :) Might be time to experiment more though, seems stable hehe

julius

Post by julius » 17 Jan 2014, 21:23

From my part, I didn't have any trouble with it.