Octane critique

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Falam

Octane critique

Post by Falam » 05 Dec 2013, 05:10

I'd like to hear from those who are using Octane Render, how it is, what weaknesses does it have, how would you compare to Vray ?

Falam

Re: Octane critique

Post by Falam » 06 Dec 2013, 19:27

No one has any opinions, or rather was I not understood ?

Nox

Post by Nox » 07 Dec 2013, 10:28

Probably no one uses it :>

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 07 Dec 2013, 11:48

I think you'll find more information about Octane on a 3ds Max forum. Max users seems so use it a lot.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 07 Dec 2013, 14:26

Falam wrote:I'd like to hear from those who are using Octane Render, how it is, what weaknesses does it have, how would you compare to Vray ?
From what I heard, it seems to have even more exaggerated ratio, scene complexity against the speed. So, for simple scene you can expect maybe the fastest path tracer on planet. But the speed seems to go down exponentially ( even more than usual for GPU renderers), with something more complex. Nothing strange that such renderer became more popular in Max, c4d or Blender community, where people are focused more on simple things, instead of billions of polygons and whatever else.

I know you know, it's only GPU path-tracer, while V-Ray offers a broad range of methods.

Falam

Post by Falam » 07 Dec 2013, 18:25

Mathaeus wrote:
Falam wrote:I'd like to hear from those who are using Octane Render, how it is, what weaknesses does it have, how would you compare to Vray ?
From what I heard, it seems to have even more exaggerated ratio, scene complexity against the speed. So, for simple scene you can expect maybe the fastest path tracer on planet. But the speed seems to go down exponentially ( even more than usual for GPU renderers), with something more complex. Nothing strange that such renderer became more popular in Max, c4d or Blender community, where people are focused more on simple things, instead of billions of polygons and whatever else.

I know you know, it's only GPU path-tracer, while V-Ray offers a broad range of methods.
Thanks that is the info I was looking for.

I assume you'd choose vRay ? Do you have one more other choice you'd choose for render engines ?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 07 Dec 2013, 19:59

Falam wrote: I assume you'd choose vRay ? Do you have one more other choice you'd choose for render engines ?
I'm not freelancer. vRay price doesn't really fit into budget for home experiments. I'm afraid you alone need to play with all these nice renderers all around, to get best option for you.

Falam

Post by Falam » 07 Dec 2013, 20:19

Damn :)
I shall begin :)

Nox

Post by Nox » 09 Dec 2013, 09:30

Well, for XSI:
GPU — Redshift
CPU (12+ cores) — Arnold
Archviz (non-GPU) — Vray

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 09 Dec 2013, 15:51

Keep an Eye on Maxwell, its integration is one of the best we have on XSI and the render engine itself is stellar.