Glow and Toon Lens Render Passes

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
aloadoftat

Glow and Toon Lens Render Passes

Post by aloadoftat » 29 Aug 2013, 22:30

Hi,

I've come back to Softimage after a long time (XSI 5 was the last version I used) and I'm having trouble setting up render passes in softimage 2013 (and I'm an animator not really a rendering guru)

I want a separate glow and toon ink pass but when I try the preset glow it looks exactly like the default pass.

I've been looking at the Softimage Users Guide but that seems a bit thin on details or they don't work, I've tried removing objects from a partition but that doesn't seem to even work (Pass > Partition > Remove from Partition). I've tried hiding partitions too.

All the tutorials or training available seems out of date.
Is there any good render pass setup tutorials or tips anyone can point me in the direction of I would be most grateful.

Thanks for any help

aloadoftat

Re: Glow and Toon Lens Render Passes

Post by aloadoftat » 09 Sep 2013, 21:12

Ok so after much fiddling I've figured it out so I thought I should share it just in case someone else has the same problem.

Basically you can a make pass and then add a new partition by selecting the things you want in one partition then making a new partition. Then hide the background partition (double click it) and you are left with a render of just the partition things.

The toon lens I had to apply the shader to a pass as a pass shader and delete the lens shader from the other passes. This was a bit buggy and the old toon lens kept coming back to life for some reason but I got it sorted.

The Glow pass was made by making a new version of the object I wanted to emmit glow and making unrenderable on the other passes. I set the transparency to maximum and changed it in visability to only render front faces (so I could comp it on top of things). I tried duplicating the original objects to make glow objects but this for some reason meant that back faces rendered as well so I had to make them from scratch to get only front faces rendering.

Anyway hope this helps anyone who's not that great at rendering and not sure how passes work in softimage