fine geometry details into shading roughness

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
wesserbro

fine geometry details into shading roughness

Post by wesserbro » 26 Feb 2016, 18:53

Hi, all! Do you know any renderer that supports this: http://graphics.pixar.com/library/BumpR ... /paper.pdf ?
Basically its a method to prevent object with detailed displacement or bump from getting smoother\shinier than it actually should.

rray

Re: fine geometry details into shading roughness

Post by rray » 26 Feb 2016, 21:18

So as an example you'd just texture a disc with spherical UVs and a stretched noise image, and this automatically generates 2 anisotropic maps and you'd never have to care about setting up a vinyl record shader that samples well... that would be a great feature in any renderer (haven't heard of any that does it)

This feature needs a better name than "Geometry into Shading" so people start to notice it and request it etc..
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

wesserbro

Post by wesserbro » 26 Feb 2016, 22:09

well, vinyl is a good example, but i thought of pretty much everything when really realistic image needed. Of course if its not a static, or some rapid animation where you can barely see whats going on ))
By now i can only think of having several materials and blend them based on a distance to camera. (except of insane sampling indeed :) )

wesserbro

Post by wesserbro » 26 Feb 2016, 22:16

rray wrote:This feature needs a better name than "Geometry into Shading" so people start to notice it and request it etc..
Definitely) I started googling with "material LODs" and "distant-based roughness" but found nothing related )